Sunday, January 28, 2018

Surviving on love- a Poem for FPIES


A poem written from the aching heart of an FPIES Mom:



Surviving on love-

The day had come, you were finally here.
Untainted love. Smiling ear to ear.
We took you home and held you tight.
Keeping you safe both day and night.
Sure you cry but all babies do.
Our immeasurable love is what gets us through.
Sleepless nights filled with songs and nursery rhymes.
We just can't understand why you’re uncomfortable most of the time.
Bouncing, swaying, dancing and helping you play.
Just trying to make it through another day.
Reflux, colic or food allergies?
Here's some medicine to try and put you at ease.
It's time for Mom to try a total elimination diet, also known as T.E.D.
Reduce the foods to eat, in order to be allergy-free.
Still not seeing the results we want to see.
Choose different foods, in fact …pick only five.
Trying to avoid the diagnosis "failure to thrive".
1,000 kisses to help the tears being shed,
For you’re never able to peacefully rest your sweet head.
Trying to get you to tolerate something to be fed.
Breastfed
Bottle-fed
Formula-fed
or maybe even tube-fed.
Researching more articles to be read.
Doing anything to find the light up ahead.
And although I don’t get to count the rolls on your thighs,
I sure do admire the mosaic in your eyes.
Quiet moments between the cries,
This is where our hope lies.
And I hold you more then any other parent I know,
But that's a blessing I suppose.
For you’re only going to continue to grow.
And life isn't known for being slow.
I'll hold you until you don’t need me anymore.
And I’ll love you as infinite as where the land meets the shore.
Through this storm that brings both light and dark,
I think the biggest ache in my heart
Is that you can't always be exactly who you are.
Chained by pain and discomfort,
You're personality gets hidden in the hurt.
There are moments of big smiles and dancing wiggles,
Moments of sweet, innocent giggles.
Moments of milestones and joy,
or when you finally learn to master that new toy.
Moments we admire and watch you play.
Moments that we wish would stay.
“The days are long but the years are short” they say.
These are certainly the longest days of my life,
Yet flashing by with both triumph and strife.
The most beautiful and hardest days of my life.
You’ve been mine since long before your birth.
And for the answers, I’ll search the earth
To make all of this have some worth.
We are strong enough.
We will never give up.
I vow to help you.
Love you, fight for you and get you through.
Hold you and always comfort you too.
There is nothing I won’t do for you.
There is nothing more abundant and true,
Then my sincerest, deepest, most natural love for you.

For Mia and Joseph

Love,
Mom




Author: Melissa Sacheli



1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful Missy! You guys are wonderful parents, that much I know :)

    ReplyDelete